Sunday 13 July 2014

Natural hair is not for me

image

I have heard this statement several times and it always makes me pause; how can the hair you're born with not be for you? Now I know it's no walk in the park and for some people they prefer the manageability that chemical processes allow them but I would implore them to let go of those reservations and explore the options that come with having natural hair.

The first step to going natural is research, research, research. Why? If you don't know what your hair likes and what products are best them you will fall right back into the clutches of the creamy crack and the process will start all over again.  The research that you conduct should include finding out what curl pattern you have, Those with a coarser texture can create beautiful  locs, twists,braid outs and puffs. If you have a looser curl texture your hair may not be able to style your hair in the same manner, but that doesn't mean you can't rock a wash & go or a sleek curly ponytail.


The next step is deciding whether you want to go all out and do the big chop or transition into your natural hair; I wasn't brave enough to chop all my hair off so I went the slower route and transitioned but once again research, research, research! Find what's best for you before proclaiming that natural hair is not for you.

2 comments:

  1. I am having this exact same issue right now! Trying to decide if I want to cut my ombre off and start over natural or not. Its hard for me as a stylist because I still want to be seen ad trendy or on point with what they are offering as services. I have always been seen as a natural stylist because I don't overload on products or push them in peoples faces, and I also use very natural earth like products on my clientele keeping their hair healthy. I like that you brought up the struggle people have with cutting or transitioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a big step! Especially if you're cutting off a lot of your hair, I wasn't brave enough to cut all of mine off so I transitioned very very slowly! What makes you want to cut the ombre off?

      Delete